Preparation of the oil/fat - lecithin emulsion:
- The wafer quality depends on the accuracy of the dough, particularly as far as weighing and mixing are concerned. In the course of the whole mixing process, the consistency changes due to material dissolving and swelling processes, gluten development and reactions with other raw material, includingMaterial processes during mixing: The important process during mixing is dissolving and swelling of the flour components. This is decisive for the quality of the baking process and the wafer sheet and for the energy demand during baking, the water added during dough preparation has to be vaporized again during baking. air. When a certain consistency is reached, the mixing process is finished, particularly when a uniform mixing of all ingredients allows for a smooth flow of the dough on the baking plates/cone baking dies.
We recommend to leave the dough for 5 minutes, and to pass it through a sieve afterwards in order to hold back the particles, which have not dissolved completely. The dough will swell again. If flour with higher level of coarsely ground grain is used, the dough should be left for about 10 minutes. The longer the dough can rest, the better will be its flow. This is referred to as natural slackening of the dough. After the optimum recipe has been found out, it should be modified by the master baker, only after previous check.
- Mixing of the dough: For beating the wafer dough, High Speed Mixers are best suited. Depending on the type of machine and the charge volume, the mixing period is between 3 and 10 minutes. Sufficient beating is also important for a gleaming surface of the wafer sheet without any pores. For the type of mixing procedure, different requirements have to be met.
- One-stage procedure: All components, including water are portioned directly into the mixer.
- Multi-stage procedure: First, mix the whole dry matter with about half of the liquid. Add the remaining liquid afterwards at your own discretion, until the suspension shows adequate flow. All raw material and additives except the flour are beaten together with the remaining amount of liquid, until they are mixed thoroughly. After that, the flour is mixed in together with the remaining liquid.
- Temperature:The dough should have a temperature of 20-25°C. while being prepared warmer dough tends to turn sour due to the addition of soda, if it is stored intermediately. The temperature of the pouring wafer is adjusted according to the temperature of the flour and the mixer.
- Material processes during mixing: The important process during mixing is dissolving and swelling of the flour components. This is decisive for the quality of the baking process and the wafer sheet and for the energy demand during baking, the water added during dough preparation has to be vaporized again during baking.
Important advice for the preparation of the wafer batter :
- Use smooth wheat flour with medium content of gluten.
- Depending on the quality of the flour, the amount of water should be increased or decreased, as every type of flour has different soaking characteristics.
- In order to get a wafer sheet of good quality, the batter should not be too dilute.
Oil / Fat should be heated lukewarm. Lecithin should be added slowly and stirred until it dissolves completely. The quality of the emulsion should correspond to the batter recipe used. Then it is poured into the readily prepared wafer batter and stirred.